Saturday, February 02, 2008

Free Means Free in the Internet Archive

Nowadays, most everyone is scheming to make a quick buck on the Internet. Well, almost everyone. Buried, deep in the jungles of the Internet wilderness, is a magnanimous trove of Internet treasures that are free for the digging. Welcome to the Creative Commons, and more specifically the Internet Archive. Free audio books, Free music, Free animated cartoons, Free college lectures, Free movies. As in any vast wilderness, a little common sense will help you to avoid pitfalls such as music with objectionable lyrics, outdated software that could crash your computer, or the viewing of Night of the Living Dead before you are old enough to appreciate this vintage classic. One of my favorite pastimes is spent with a pair of music headphones while I sample the thousands of music files available in the archive. If I happen upon a song that moves me, then I move it - right into the music directory on my computer and on to my MP3 player, for future listening pleasure. It doesn't get any better than that.